Monday, April 22, 2013

Pantry Salsa

We go through a lot of salsa.  Salsa and tortilla chips is one of my favorite snacks, and we also have burritos and taquitos for lunch fairly often, which I like to slather with salsa.  Additionally, a lot of my "Mexican" cooking has salsa for an ingredient.  I have a favorite jarred salsa, which is Pace Picante sauce.  It costs $2.49 at the Walmart (give or take) for 16 oz, which is 2 cups.  This recipe makes 3 cups, and the approximate cost is $1.20, since I only had to buy the 2 cans of tomatoes it calls for and I already had all the other ingredients.  So it is a steal, if it is accepted by all...this one is from Simple & Delicious.



Pantry Salsa
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with onion, drained
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

Love those easy directions.  I mixed it in a Tupperware bowl and put it in the fridge.  Sam and I had some of this with our taquitos and tortilla chips for lunch today.  It was very very tasty.  Some of the tomato chunks were too big for my liking, so if I make it again, I will either buy "petite diced" tomatoes, if I can find them, or cut them up smaller before I add the other ingredients.  Overall, I am very happy with this salsa.  It just has to pass the Steve Test, which usually is not a hard test for any food to pass =) Maybe I'm going to grow tomatoes this summer, and so then maybe I'll try salsa with fresh tomatoes, which I'm sure is way better than starting with canned.  But this is a pretty inexpensive salsa option so I'm happy with it for now.

No comments: