Monday, April 8, 2013

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

My new Simple & Delicious came!  This is the first one out of the new issue.  It sounded easy and yummy.  I've never tried scalloped potatoes in the crock pot before.  Once I started actually putting the ingredients into the crock pot, I became skeptical, because there isn't too much liquid in this recipe, and I know that potatoes generally need liquid to cook in to get tender.  But I sallied forth...

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
10 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used most of a 5 lb bag)
3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I hate cream of mushroom so I used cream of chicken)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper

Layer half of the potatoes, ham, onions, and cheese in a greased 6-qt slow cooker.  Repeat layers.  Pour soup over top.  Sprinkle with paprika and pepper.  Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.

Like almost everything you can make in a crock pot, this smelled so good all day.  I cooked mine for 8 hours, and some of the potatoes on the top layer were just a bit "crunchier" than I prefer, but I stirred it all together and then you couldn't tell.  I don't think I would try any less than 8 hours though.  Very very tasty, and it made a lot so we had a lot leftover, too.

No comments: