Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Black Bean and Rice Bake with "Pina de Gallo"

Once in Haiti I had a sauce on the beans and rice with several ingredients I could not (and did not try to) identify, but it was tasty.  When I saw this recipe, it reminded me of that dish, so I thought I would try it.  Also, it's meatless, so it counts for the meatless meal that I try to do every week (but do not always do because I really like meat...).  I think the "Pina" part of the name of the fruity salsa is supposed to be a play on the "pico de gallo" you often see in Mexican recipes.  From $5 Dinner Mom.

Black Bean and Rice Bake with "Pina de Gallo"
3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 15 oz cans, rinsed and drained)
1 1/4 cups brown rice
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups hot water
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt & pepper to taste
Pina de Gallo:
2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  To the prepared dish, add the beans, rice, broth, and hot water (I put the 2 cups of water and the 1 cup of chicken broth in a saucepan, brought it to a boil, then added it to the pan...that way I knew the rice would be done when she said it would be...).  Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, toss together the pineapple, tomato, onion, cilantro, cumin, and salt and pepper (I put all of this in my Tupperware choppy thing and chopped it all up until it was the consistency I wanted).

Serve the beans and rice with the "Pina de Gallo" over the top.

The rice smelled great while it was cooking (I think it was the garlic).  The salsa was yummy too.  The kids did not like this at all.  Even Sam, who likes everything.  Nathan & Emma were complaining about it, and Sam chimed in with "No comment."  This was surprising coming from him.  Steve and I both thought it was good, although it didn't really feel like a complete meal (probably because we are used to meat...??).  I think some bread and butter would have been a good addition.  In Haiti we would have had this with a folded tortilla or two...anyway it was good but we won't have it again...gotta give the people what they want.




No comments: