Monday, June 24, 2013

Caribbean Grilled Chicken Thighs

I started a new cookbook!  This is another Southern Living one my mother in law sent for my birthday, The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook.  I have pretty much liked everything I've made out of these books.  Those southern people really know what they're talking about.  We had this tonight, and it was soooo good.  It is supposed to marinate for 8 hours, but due to crazy schedules being what they are, mine marinated for 21 hours...



Caribbean Grilled Chicken Thighs
8 large chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp dark brown sugar (I only had light so that's what I used)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes (I knew this would be marinating an extra long time, so I only used 1/2 tsp, of the flakes my mom brought me from the Bahamas)
1 garlic clove, minced
Lime wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish, optional (and I opted to not)

Place chicken in an 11x7 baking dish.  Combine next 7 ingredients in a small bowl, then pour over chicken in dish.  Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, turning occasionally.

Drain chicken, reserving marinade.  Place marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil (I was nervous about this being "food safe" but Steve Page said it was fine...).  Grill chicken over medium coals 8 minutes on each side or until done, basting often with marinade.  Garnish if desired with lime wedges and parsley sprigs.


You could put this under the broiler, or use a Foreman grill if you have one.  But Steve felt like grillin', so we grilled.  We ate it on the picnic table.  Well, on plates on the picnic table.  Everyone loved the chicken.  It was moist and so delicious.  Even if you don't normally prefer chicken thighs, they do cook nicely on the grill because they are more fatty and don't dry out as quickly (in my experience).  This is another one we will definitely have again.  It would be good with pasta or potato salad, but we had ours with Pasta with Garlic Oil, which you can find as a previous post.  Yummy summer-time meal.


No comments: