Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Peach-Blueberry Crumble

Last night my mom's oldest brother and his wife were here for dinner.  They live in Utah, and we hardly ever see them...for my two youngest children, it was their first time meeting them.  We had a very nice dinner, and then we had this for dessert.  In my mind I was going to use our own blueberries, but of course they aren't ready to pick yet.  I do have some that are still frozen, but I had to buy some fresh ones for the dinner recipe anyway, so I bought a few more for this dessert.  From $5 Dinner Mom.

Peach-Blueberry Crumble
1 pint blueberries
4 peaches, pitted and diced (it didn't say to peel them, so I didn't...you couldn't tell once you were eating it so I 'm glad I left the peel on...less work, and I think the peaches would have disintegrated if I'd tried to peel them because they were very ripe...)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour
Topping:
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2" chunks

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 8x8 glass baking dish with cooking spray (I used a metal pan and it was fine).  Gently toss the blueberries, diced peaches, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in the prepared baking dish.



In a small mixing bowl, combine the topping ingredients, cutting in butter with pastry blender or two forks., until mixture is crumbly.  Pour topping over the fruit mixture.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.  Serve warm with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream.

This came out perfect!  I made it ahead of time, in the afternoon, then when we sat down to eat dinner, I put it back in the oven at 200 to warm up. By the time we were ready to eat, it was nice and warm.  It tasted very good.  Everyone liked it, except the two younger children, who just had ice cream. 

No comments: