Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos

I worked Thursday night, came home Friday morning, threw all this in the crock pot, went to sleep for 3.5 hours, woke up and went to Taco Bell with some friends (woot!), came home and laid down...but didn't sleep!  Then Barbie came over and we made the brownie recipe I just posted, then we ate these tacos.  They basically made themselves, which is a huge plus because I was in quite a sleep deprived state.  Very easy meal.  From $5 Dinner Mom.  I doubled the recipe because I knew Barbie would be here...

Slow Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 bag (12 oz) frozen pepper and onion blend (I did not double this, because we have no great love for peppers here)
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
8 tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheese
shredded iceberg lettuce
Sour cream

Add chicken breasts, tomatoes, peppers and onion, cumin, and salt and pepper to slow cooker.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Drain liquid from crock pot (I used a soup spoon and spooned it out because I couldn't think of a better way.  The liquid smelled so good that I froze it to use in the tortilla soup recipe I'm trying next week).  Shred the chicken with a fork.  Use filling for tacos, topping with cheese, lettuce, and sour cream (if you like that gross stuff).

Emma and Nathan were rather traumatized by the "RED" stuff in with their chicken.  They did not like it one bit.  But everybody else thought they were quite good.  Not spicy at all, just yummy and flavorful. Depending on your tortillas, and if you use cheese or not, these could be diary and/or gluten free, too, so I put them in those categories as well.

No comments: