Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies

I made this for home fellowship.  It is baked in a 15x10 jelly roll pan so I knew it would make a lot and be perfect for our crowd.  Plus my husband reeeeeally likes peanut butter.  This one is from the Southern Living cookbook I've been working through.  Also, I wish I had taken a picture, but it was a zombie day and I forgot.

Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
1 1/2 cups butter, divided
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
18 oz jar peanut butter (they say chunky but I never use chunky...and I buy BIG peanut butter jars, not 18 oz ones, so this equals a little more than 2 cups)
1/3 cup milk
10 large marshmallows
1/4 cup cocoa
16 oz pkg powdered sugar (about 3 1/2 cups or so)

Cook 1 cup butter and 1/3 cup cocoa in a saucepan over low heat until butter melts, stirring often.  Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Add chocolate mixture, and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.  Add eggs and vanilla, beating until blended.  Spread mixture into greased 15x10 jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean. 

Remove lid from peanut butter jar (or put the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl) and microwave at medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring once.  Pour over warm brownies.  Chill 30 minutes.

Cook remaining 1/2 cup butter, milk, and marshmallows in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until marshmallows melt.  Remove from heat.  Whisk in 1/4 cup cocoa.  Gradually stir in powdered sugar until smooth.  Spread over peanut butter layer.  Chill 20 minutes.  Cut into squares.

So good!  Everybody liked this.  The peanut butter layer, which is just peanut butter, was the best part.  The frosting was perfect.  Really really good, I know we'll make these again.

No comments: