Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sesame-Ginger Chicken Quesadillas

This recipe makes a dressing, and then only uses 3 tbsp of it.  But since I had almost all the ingredients anyway, I decided to just make it, even though the remainder of it will likely be wasted, unless I buy a bunch of lettuce and have salad every day for a week, which seems unlikely.  This recipe sounded like it would be so yummy.  It's from the Southern Living cookbook that I am simultaneously working through along with $5 Dinner Mom.

Sesame-Ginger Chicken Quesadillas
3 tbsp sesame ginger sauce (recipe follows)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
3 carrots, shredded (I bought matchstick carrots)
1/4 cup diced red onion
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
8 oz pkg shredded Mexican cheese blend
Dressing:
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup canola oil (I used olive oil because it's lighter and I think canola oil is too thick in homemade dressings)
1/3 cup sesame oil
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger (I bought a tube of pre-minced in the veggie section)
1 garlic clove, minced

Whisk together all dressing ingredients until well blended (remaining can be stored in refrigerator up to 1 week).

Heat the 3 tbsp sesame-ginger sauce in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken, carrots, and onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Spoon chicken mixture evenly on half of each tortilla; sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Wipe skillet clean.

Cook, tortilla side down (how else would you do it?), in lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat, 1 minute or until lightly browned.  Fold tortillas over filling and serve immediately.

The two younger children didn't want theirs in a tortilla, so they had the filling separate.  But Emma still wanted a tortilla, so she had one, folded up, on the side.  Nathan had ritz crackers on the side with his.  The three of us that had these as they were intended all liked them. Sam said they were the best "dang quesadiLLas" he had ever had.  I love that he knows Napoleon Dynamite references.  I thought they were good, but I wanted them to be better, somehow.  I don't know how.  I just didn't love them.  

 


No comments: