Monday, June 17, 2013

South-of-the-Border Chicken Soup

If I want to make chicken soup in July, I just will (see an earlier post for the method behind my madness).  When I made Slow Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos, I saved the broth to use later, and this is the recipe I saved it to use in.  It sounded like it would be perfect.  From $5 Dinner Mom.

South-of-the-Border Chicken Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup lime juice
1 cup frozen corn kernels, or 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup brown rice (I have fallen for this before and waited what seemed like hours for dinner to be done...I used white rice)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 avocado, seeded and diced (omitted, and interestingly, one of the few things my husband doesn't like)
Sour cream for serving (omitted because I don't like it)

In a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium high heat.  Add the chicken, onion, and garlic powder and saute for 7-9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

Stir in the broth, hot water, and lime juice.  Add the corn, beans, and rice.  Season with salt & pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. 

Everybody liked this!  We had it with tortilla chips on the side.  This wasn't spicy at all, and if not for the black beans I think it would have been just like regular chicken soup.  But the lime juice did add something to it, and the peppery broth from last week helped, too.  I'll keep this one, since it can be a rare thing to find something that everybody eats without complaining...Leftovers are going to Grampie, so it does make plenty...I think he won't notice that it's south-of-the-border-ish, just that it's chicken and rice soup.

No comments: