Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Apple-Spiced Pork

We had this for dinner last night. It was so so so so good. I loved every bite. I can't wait to eat the leftovers. That's how good. It's from Simple & Delicious Sept/Oct 2008.

Apple-Spiced Pork
2 cups uncooked yolk-free noodles (I didn't think this was enough so I made more like 3 cups)
1 pork tenderloin (1 lb), halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tbsp canola oil
2 medium tart apples, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 can (14 1/2 oz) beef broth
1 tbsp chopped walnuts

Cook noodles according to pkg directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a lg skillet, brown pork with celery and onion in oil; drain (I had nothing to drain). Add apples, raisins, brown sugar, seasoned salt, and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until pork is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. In a small bowl, combine the beef broth and cornstarch until smooth; gradually add to the pork mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with walnuts. 4 servings

So when you cut the pork "lengthwise" you are supposed to cut it down the middle the long way, so instead of like one 8 inch log-o-pork, you end up with 2 thinner 8 inch logs-o-pork, which you then cut into 1/2 inch slices (I thought about this for a while, plus there was a picture of the finished product to help me visualize). This was pretty much a one-dish meal, since the apples and raisins filled the fruit and/or vegetable category (at least by my standards) and the noodles were the starch. We used whole wheat egg noodles so they were healthier, too. This was so tasty. Every bite I was like "this is so good." I was the only one who liked the walnuts, though. Steve had a few sprinkled on his but quickly picked them out. I didn't even try them with the kids because I knew what the response would be. And Emma didn't like the cooked apples either. But Nathan ate the pork (he thought it was chicken)(because I told him it was). So everyone liked it and this is definitely a keeper.

No comments: