Sunday, November 30, 2008

Chocolate Chip Dutch Baby

I recently marked several recipes in my big Taste of Home cookbook and the Simple & Delicious magazines that I get that I don't need to buy any ingredients for; that I could make any night of the week without advanced planning. That way, I get through them faster. And I got unexpectedly downstaffed last night, so I had nothing planned for supper. This recipe was one I marked in the big TOH cookbook, pg 259, the eggs & cheese section. I thought it would be like a big pancake, but puffy. Or something. I definitely expected something different. I don't even know what a dutch baby is. Thought it was a small child from Holland. Apparently it is not, it is a weird pastry thing that nobody in your house will eat except your husband (and yourself), even though he says it tasted like a big chocolate chip cookie. Which isn't very healthy for supper.

Chocolate Chip Dutch Baby
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup brown sugar
Dutch baby:
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1/8 tsp nutmeg
dash cinnamon
3 tbsp butter
maple syrup and additonal butter

In a small bowl, combine mini chocolate chips and brown sugar; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat the flour, eggs, cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon until smooth. Place butter in a 9 inch pie plate. Heat @ 425 for 4-6 minutes until melted. Pour batter into hot pie plate. Sprinkle with chocolate chip mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top edges are golden brown. Serve immediately with syrup and butter. 4 servings

So I don't know where you would put additional butter on this thing. It was sizzling with butter as it was. I cut it up and put it on plates and it looked pretty pitiful. This was definitely not much food, even though it says 4 servings. Sam did eat his, because he is a sport, and he believed Daddy when he said it was like a big cookie (and it was). But Emma wasn't buying it. She had one bite. Nathan had maybe 3. So we won't be having this again, because it was just too weird and not well received.

No comments: