Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pumpkin Oat Muffins

I made these for the adoption and orphan care seminar we had at church on Saturday morning. Steve wasn't crazy about the sound of it so I thought this would be a good venue to try them out. It's from the Nov/Dec 2008 Simple & Delicious, which I did skip a few to get to this one but these were seasonal recipes so I wanted to try them now, in November, so I wasn't like making pumpkin muffins in May or July or something.

Pumpkin Oat Muffins
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (which cost $4.99 @ Hannaford....you can make your own, just Google it)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp cold butter

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the egg, pumpkin, milk, and oil; add to the dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in oats and raisins. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and pie spice; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle 1 rounded teaspoonful over each muffin. Bake @ 375 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins

I made a double batch of these for the seminar, and I guess about half got eaten. My pickiest child has eaten two of them which makes me think they are a keeper, but nobody but him really liked them in our house. I thought they were okay, but wasn't crazy about the oatmeal in them. So suppose I did keep the recipe because Nathan liked it...I think he is just playing with me. Probably if I made them again he would be like "No no no no" etc. So I guess it's not a keeper for us, but if you like pumpkin-y things, you might like it. I was going to try it with chocolate chips but decided I better stick with the raisins the first time around, but that might be something to try too.

No comments: