Sunday, November 23, 2008

Steak with Orange-Thyme Sauce, Mixed Herb Rice, and Sour Cream and Chive Biscuits

So last Wednesday was a very lucrative day. 3 recipes that I had marked in one meal. Pretty good. My mom says she is not going to die until all her projects are done, and at this rate she will live forever. I kind of feel like that about all these recipes I want to try...I have so many marked that I will never make them all. So anytime I can combine them and do more than one at a time, I am happy. Not so that I will die sooner, but so I can move on to other things...these 3 were from Simple & Delicious July/Aug 2008...

Steak with Orange-Thyme Sauce
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme (I used dried)
1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel (you can buy it like this, you don't have to like grate your own, although I suppose you could if you wanted to)
1 tsp soy sauce
3/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used more like 1/16 because I do not like spice)
1 1/4 pounds boneless beef top sirloin steak

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside 1/3 cup for basting. Broil steak 4-6 inches from the heat (spray your broiling pan with Pam first!!!) for 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness, basting with the reserved sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce. 4 servings.

So this steak was so moist! Every time I have made steak at home it comes out so dry...this had a very nice flavor and was very moist too. We had it with...

Mixed Herb Rice
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 1/4 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 tsp dried savory
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp salt

In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. 4 servings.

I have a rice recipe that I like, but I tried this one because it has a few spices that I have bought for other recipes and seem to never use, and I'm sure will be in my cupboard for a long long time. And it was very good rice. And we had this with...

Sour Cream and Chive Biscuits
3 cups biscuit/baking mix
3 tbsp snipped chives
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup sour cream

In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and chives. Stir in water and sour cream just until moistened. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray (if you use stoneware, you don't need the cooking spray). Bake @ 450 x 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. 16 biscuits.

Okay these were okay but not great. The order of operations if you are making all of these at once...make the biscuits, and while they are baking get the steak ready. Once the steak is in, start the rice. All in all this was a very tasty menu. I am not being braggy (because I did not invent these recipes I just followed directions) but the steak and rice tasted like something you could get at a restaurant and pay a lot for. But Steve did not give me any money after this meal =(. Not even a tip. What the heck. Oh well the steak and rice recipes I will save, but not the biscuits.

No comments: