Monday, November 24, 2008

Pumpkin Cake

I got this recipe from my friend Michelle who goes to church with me. When we had Nathan (2 yrs ago) she brought us a meal and this cake was part of it. I thought it was so delicious and I asked her for the recipe. She gave it to me and it has sat it my cookbook since. Today was the first time I had made this cake, partly because I didn't have a bundt pan (then my friend Autumn got me one at a yard sale after I borrowed hers and returned it empty), and partly because Steve doesn't like pumpkin recipes. But tis the season for pumpkin recipes, so I thought I would make it and bring it to work today, and it was a huge hit!! Gone by 5 pm. I almost didn't get a piece. This cake is so moist and delicious. I thought it needed a glaze, so I googled glaze and got a good recipe for that. So here it is, for the interested parties...

Pumpkin Cake
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup nuts (optional---I left these out)
1 cup golden raisins
Glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2-4 tbsp water

Mix sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat well. Add pumpkin and water. Mix all dry ingredients, then add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in raisins. Grease your pan (she says you can use a bundt pan or 4 mini loaf pans). Bake @ 350 x 60 minutes (start checking @ 50...mine took closer to 70 minutes). Cool cake completely and put it on the plate you will serve it on. For glaze, melt butter in a saucepan. Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and water, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency (I only needed 2 tbsp). Drizzle over cooled cake.

I am telling you this was so good. You need a BIG mixing bowl. I started in 2 regular sized bowls that I use for most of my baking and they were not big enough. Hope you enjoy it!!

No comments: