Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sunday Brunch Casserole

Even though this is called "Sunday" brunch casserole, we had it on a Wednesday night. But it was still pretty good. I am in the "Eggs & Cheese" section of the Taste of Home cookbook Mom got me for Christmas last year, so this is similar to something we had a couple of weeks ago, but this has hasbrown potatoes and bacon in it, so I thought it would be better than the Oven Denver Omelette and I was right. Sam still didn't like it, even though this time I cut the chunks of green pepper bigger so that he could pick them out easier. Emma was not subjected to this since she had spent the afternoon Thanksgiving-baking with Oma and stayed there for supper. We had leftovers of this last night and they tasted as good as the first night, so that's definitely a plus.

Sunday Brunch Casserole
1/2 pound sliced bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
12 eggs
1 cup milk
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dill weed (come to find out I didn't have any dill weed, so I left this out)

In a lg skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp (this took way longer than I thought it would because I always make my bacon in the microwave and it takes like 4 minutes). Remove to paper towels; drain skillet, reserving 2 tbsp drippings (so gross). Crumble bacon and set aside. In same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in reserved drippings til tender; remove with a slotted spoon (so you don't get bacon grease in your casserole, I guess...at least not more than the actual bacon will provide). In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Stir in hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper, dill, onion mixture, and reserved bacon (so basically everything...why don't they just say "combine everything"). Transfer to a greased 13x9 baking dish. Bake, uncovered, @ 350 for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. 8 servings.

So this was pretty good, like I said. I think I'll keep it, because even though it made a lot of food for us, I can always leave the peppers out next time and Sam will probably like it then. He likes omelets, anyway. And it would be a good breakfast if we had houseguests or something. Which we never do, but you never know.

No comments: