Monday, June 20, 2011

Apple Pie Filling

This is my sister's recipe. One of her friends at work does this. At apple-picking time, she makes huge batches of this and freezes it, and then whenever she wants to make an apple pie, she defrosts one and throws it into the crust and you have an apple pie whenever you want it. My sister did a bunch of this last fall, and gave me one, enough for one pie. It has been in my freezer these many months, and then I made it for home fellowship last week. I made it then because I had one pie crust left over from my package of 2 that I had bought for another recipe. I made it as a "Dutch" apple pie, because I only had the one crust. So I made the same topping that you would make for apple crisp or blueberry crisp, with oatmeal, brown sugar, and flour. It looked great. Then I got pink eye and couldn't go to home fellowship, so that was great. Steve stopped and got some vanilla ice cream to go with this. I would have gotten whipped cream in a can. But that's the difference between him and me. He brought me home a piece of the pie so I could try it and it was very good. Here's my sister's recipe:

Apple Pie Filling
6 cups sliced apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

I combined all these together and cooked it down on the stove for about 15-20 mins and then put it in a gallon size bag to cool and then into the freezer, where it sits for months on end until the sister finally decides to use it.

So I believe the above is enough for one pie, but I will have her confirm in a comment. I will definitely use this recipe. So much better to peel piles and piles of apples during one day and make this ahead, then just throw it in the oven. I followed a basic apple pie recipe for cooking directions, which said to cook it for 35-40 minutes at 400. My sister thought you didn't need to cook the pie as long, since the apples were already partially cooked, so I did it for like 25 minutes, then looked at it and decided it needed 5 more minutes. But the pie crust was still a bit under-done. So next time I will cook it for the full time. Very very good!

No comments: