Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Grilled Jerk Chops

Before all you ladies think this would be a great supper for your husbands (HA!) or those of you with sweet husbands say you would never make this for your husbands...let me assure you this "jerk" is not a character reference. It has jerk seasoning in it. They ground up some jerks, added some spices, and there ya go. Really I don't know the origin of calling it jerk seasoning. I do know that I love the Pampered Chef Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Every time I go to a PC show, I order some, because I am afraid they will stop making it and I will run out. Before the only thing I made with it was Jerk Chicken Nachos, which are my favorite favorite way to eat nachos. When I saw this recipe in the June/July 2011 Simple & Delicious, I knew I had to make it because it uses my beloved jerk seasoning.

Grilled Jerk Chops
4 medium limes
1 tbsp caribbean jerk seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
4 bone-in pork chops
1 small fresh pineapple

Finely grate the peel from one lime (this was hard and I didn't like doing it); set aside. Squeeze juice from two limes (one of them should be the one you grated all the peel off of). Cut remaining 2 limes in half; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the jerk seasoning, oil, lime peel and half of the juice; rub over pork chops. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, peel and quarter pineapple (easier than I expected); drizzle with remaining lime juice.

Grill chops and pineapple, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reads 160 and pineapple is tender. Grill lime halves for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.

Chop pineapple; serve with pork and lime halves.

Of course this was really fabulous. Only Sam ate his lime, and Emma's half too. Steve did squeeze his lime juice over the pork. But I think you could get away with only buying 2 limes here. Also I used my George Foreman grill instead of the outside grill, which apparently is on the fritz. I had to go to work after, and I asked Steve to wash it so it wouldn't be waiting for me when I got home in the morning. The great news is, Steve found a GF grill at Target with removable plates!! Wahoo! So I'm going to get that really soon. Can't wait.

No comments: