Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Easy Molasses Sticky Buns

I made these this morning. They start with frozen bread dough, but I think you could easily use bread dough from scratch. I thought they sounded and looked yummy, and we had some extra kids here this morning so I thought it would be a fun special breakfast we could have. It's from a Taste of Home magazine my mom gave me. I did not say that they were called "molasses" anything because I thought that would make them not want to eat them. I told them they were like caramel cinnamon rolls.

Easy Molasses Sticky Buns
2 loaves (16 oz each) frozen bread dough, thawed (the store bought frozen loaves have to thaw for 5-8 hours, so I took them out of the freezer last night before I went to bed)
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Molasses Sauce:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup molasses

Roll out each loaf of bread dough into a 10 inch square. Spread with butter to within 1/2 inch of edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal. Cut each loaf into 6 slices.

For sauce, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter, water, and molasses to a boil. Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish. Place rolls, cut side down, in molasses sauce.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in dish for 5 minutes; invert onto serving platter (at this point, if you want, you can spill the sauce all over the counter, the floor, your feet and your flip flops. It's really hot, but it will make a great morning even greater if you try it). Serve warm.

So these were SO sweet that I couldn't even finish one. The girls (we had an extra pair of children here) barely touched theirs. The boys ate a bit more, but it seems like nobody was crazy about these. So, not a keeper. It was easy though.

No comments: