Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce

I got this one out of an All You magazine. Really not much good in there besides the coupons, which are many. But I like to make and eat Mexican food (but not TOO Mexican) so I ripped this page out to try it.

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos (left these out)
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro (I bought this, but when I went to wash it, so many of the leaves were brown and gross and slimy that I threw it all away...$0.87 into the trash, oh well...better than getting e. coli which I am only slightly paranoid about but still)
12 6-inch corn tortillas (I don't like corn tortillas, I like flour ones...so we used those)

Preheat oven to 425 (but don't do it yet, it will be on for way too long). Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Warm oil in a skillet over med-low heat. Saute onion and 1/2 tsp salt for 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, spices, and sugar. Add sauce and 1 cup water. Reduce heat; simmer 5 mintues.

Add chicken, cover and cook until thickest part is 160, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Preheat the oven now) Shred chicken; place in bowl with 1/4 cup sauce, 1 cup cheese, jalapenos, and cilantro. Spoon 1/3 cup of filling onto each tortilla; roll up and lay seam-side down in baking dish. Mist with cooking spray.

Bake, uncovered, 7 minutes. Reduce temperature to 400. Pour sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil (try to not burn your fingers); bake 25 minutes. Uncover, bake 5 minutes more.

This was really really good. We had an extra Emma over and all 3 older kids ate it all up. I didn't try it with Nathan, he just had chicken nuggets. I forgot to add salt and pepper to the filling like it says, so I thought I would need to add more to eat it, but it was plenty salty enough. Definitely keeping this one!

No comments: