Monday, June 20, 2011

Picnic Potato Salad

This recipe is my sister's, too. Don't worry, she is not taking over New Recipe Night. I don't do much for new recipes when Steve is gone, because the kids are so picky that it's not a fair indicator of the recipe. Most of the time they don't like it, so I don't bother. When he is gone we eat such gourmet things as ravioli, mac & cheese, and chicken. But a new recipe was made in my kitchen anyway! My sister and my niece spent the night on Saturday night, and she made this recipe to take to my dad's church on Sunday for Father's Day, where we always have a pot luck lunch after the service. His church is in Oceanville, which, as you might suspect, is near the ocean. It has a long history of fishermen families. Usually there is seafood there. So Jess and I always make sure to bring things that at least our 2 families will like, since none of us like seafood. We hope the church people don't notice that none of their food is on our plates....She got this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Picnic Potato Salad
10 medium red potatoes, cubed
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
4 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried mint (she couldn't find this, and in the past I haven't been able to either)
dash cayenne pepper (I don't know if she put this in, I didn't watch her make it...)

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over potatoes and toss to coat. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

This was really really good!! The herbs, or spices (I don't know the difference between the two, really) gave it a really different flavor. Definitely a keeper.

No comments: