Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Delicious Whole Slow Cooker Chicken

This is not the recipe I was going to make originally. I had planned to make this Moroccan chicken from the Rachael Ray magazine. It had almond stuffing and sounded very very yummy. It was different than anything I've made before, but didn't sound so foreign that the fam wouldn't eat it. However, you were supposed to season the chicken with saffron. You were supposed to toast the saffron, then mix it with a few other ingredients, and then cover the chicken with it. It seemed like an important ingredient. However, would you like to know how much saffron costs? At the NLC, they do not have it in bulk. They had it in little tiny containers for $8.99. At Hannaford they did not have it at all. At Walmart they had it for $16.99. So when I was in the spice aisle at Walmart I said to myself, "self, we are not going to make this recipe." But I still got the chicken, and figured I could just make something with it out of my "keeper book." I thought it was going to be hot today, so I wanted to make it in the crock pot, but the only whole chicken crock pot recipe I had was for lemonade chicken, which needed frozen lemonade concentrate, which is not something I have on hand. So I went to allrecipes.com and found this one. I had all the ingredients except sesame oil.

Delicious Whole Slow Cooker Chicken
1 (3 lb) whole chicken, skin removed (I had a 4.5 lb chicken, but it's fine...also I HATE getting the skin off chicken...SO gross)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil (a lot of the comments on the recipe said this was too much oil, so I only used half of that amount...so basically 1/6 of a cup, but that looks funny)
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp minced garlic

Remove skin from chicken (throughout this process, gag liberally), and empty inner cavity of contents within (how polite that sounds...I almost forgot to take out the giblet bag, that would have been so awful if I had forgotten). Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place in slow cooker.

In a bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Pour mixture over chicken and cover. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Well, I think calling this "delicious" is a stretch. It was okay. Like almost all crock pot recipes, it smelled fabulous, which in itself might make it worth it. But the chicken didn't seem to have much of the flavor of the sauce. I didn't make gravy out of the drippings like I would normally do, because of the ingredients (gravy with vinegar and honey?). I could have just served the juice (or, the jus, if you are french) with it and that probably would have helped. We had this with Rice a Roni the San Francisco treat because it is Emma's favorite rice and we don't have it very often. So it wasn't terrible, but I'm not keeping the recipe.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Since you mentioned not having recipes for whole chickens in the crock pot, I thought I would tell you what my family has always done with them. It's not pretty, but it works.

Put a chicken in the crock pot. (Don't leave it's neck, gizzard, heart, liver, or chicken diaper on it.)
Put an onion or two in wedges into it.
Put a heaping tablespoon or two of minced garlic into it.
Pour a big can of tomatoes over it. If they are whole, cut them up a little.
4 hours on high or 8 on low.
Pick out the bones.
Serve it over rice or egg noodles.

Laura said...

Oh, I should say-- this recipe is also great for pork chops.