Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Butter & Herb Turkey

I love turkey, and turkey leftovers. So I definitely wanted to try this recipe because it's for turkey, and then another recipe for the leftovers (which I will post separately). Also it's a crock pot recipe so that's easy too. If, that is, the turkey breast you buy will fit into your crock pot...from Simple & Delicious April/May 2011.

Butter & Herb Turkey
1 bone-in turkey breast (6 to 7 lbs)
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth (I used homemade)
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp cold water

Rub turkey with butter. Combine the rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper; sprinkle over turkey. Place in a 6-qt slow cooker (mine must not be 6 qt, or the shape is funny or something...mine didn't fit very well...it was like 2 inches from the lid fitting on all the way...I got on a stool and squashed it down as hard as I could...it took like an hour of cooking before the lid would close all the way). Pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until tender (not sure I believe this is long enough. I did it on high for that long and it was barely done).

Remove turkey to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.

This made, of course, SO MUCH turkey. I estimate we ate about 1/4 of it for this meal. Tomorrow I'm going to make the leftovers recipe, and I will still have enough to make a pot pie later in the week, because there is a lot of gravy left too. So on the whole, very successful. It did make the skin slimy, so we didn't eat that part. A keeper.

No comments: