Friday, June 18, 2010

All-American Hamburgers

I have had a very prolific couple of days. This is the first of 3 recipes I have made yesterday and today. I made these hamburgers to bring to Brad & Autumn's house for a barbecue. It's from Simple & Delicious June/July 2010.

All-American Hamburgers
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp ketchup
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp steak sauce
1/4 tsp cider vinegar
1 lb ground beef
4 hamburger buns, split
4 slices cheese
8 cooked bacon strips (I didn't use these)
Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato and onion slices (we had red onions...very strong but very yummy)

In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 4 patties. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat, or broil 4 inches from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reads 160 and juices run clear. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with bacon and toppings of your choice.

So I doubled this recipe, ended up with 7 burgers, not the 8 like you would think. Many times in the past when I have made burgers like this they fall apart on the grill. So I was afraid that would happen to these, but it didn't. I made them, then they ended up being in the fridge for like 2 hours before the men grilled them. They tasted pretty dry though. I had to add a lot more ketchup to my burger than I usually do just to chew it enough and get it down. Karen did too but I wasn't offended because I had done the same thing. I suggested to Autumn she might want to add more to hers but she declined. I think they were so dry because I used dehydrated minced onion instead of fresh. Also I used 90% lean ground beef. So if I was making them again, I would either use fresh onion, fattier beef, or rehydrate the onion flakes (did you know you can do that? You can mix them with twice as much cold water and they will plump up. I should have done that but I was trying to hurry. Oh well). So I already have a couple of hamburger recipes like this, but I like that I didn't have to buy anything for this one. I already had all these ingredients. So another keeper.

No comments: