Monday, June 21, 2010

Big Kahuna Pizza

This is what we had for supper tonight. It's from the latest Simple & Delicious, June/July 2010. They had a contest a while back for recipes with 5 ingredients or less, and of course there were a bunch of winners in the magazine, and this is one of them. Now this is certainly not a healthy meal by any stretch, but it is probably healthier than Pizza Hut or Papa John's which I enjoy very much. I ended up spending about $10 on ingredients, which is about what you'd pay for a large pizza if you had a coupon or something. I REALLY like the Barbecue Chicken Bacon pizza at Papa John's, it is hands-down my favorite pizza. I thought this might be a good alternate version.

Big Kahuna Pizza
1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust (I used Boboli whole wheat crust)
1 carton (18 oz) refrigerated fully cooked barbecued shredded pork
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 cups shredded mozarella cheese

Place pizza crust on an ungreased 12 inch pizza pan. Spread shredded pork over crust; top with pineapple and onion. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pineapple chunks were definitely too big. If you end up making this, just buy two small cans of tidbits (I don't think tidbits come in bigger cans but maybe they do). Besides that, no real complaints. Nathan and Emma had peanut butter and jelly. Samuel ate all of it. He didn't say much about it but he ate all of it. Steve said he thought he wasn't going to like it, because of the pineapple, but that he really did like it after all. So I guess I'll keep the recipe, although I don't know how often I'll make it. Maybe if the pork goes on crazy sale or something it would be good to have the recipe on hand. It wasn't quite as good as Papa John's, of course, but not a bad second, really. Also Papa John's doesn't deliver out to my house so that is one point against them.

No comments: