Friday, June 11, 2010

Pineapple Pork Stir-Fry

So this is what I made for supper tonight. I went to my friend's house to eat Taco Bell and Steve had a friend come over to eat with him. This was a prearranged thing. It felt a bit odd to be making a meal I would not be eating. This recipe is from the May 2010 Simple & Delicious, and for one of their recipes, it was a bit complicated. But it looked great and Steve said it was really good.

Pineapple Pork Stir-Fry
1 can (8 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
3 tbsp cornstarch, divided
1 tbsp plus 1/2 cup cold water, divided
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into thin strips
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp oil, divided
4 cups fresh broccoli florets (I subbed sugar snap peas..the kids hate broccoli and haven't figured out that "sugar snaps" are actually in the pea family hee hee)
1 cup fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
1 small onion, cut into wedges
Hot cooked rice

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp water, garlic powder and 1 tbsp reserved pineapple juice. Pour into large ziploc bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat. (I skipped the "small bowl" part and just put the ingredients right into the ziploc bag) In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, cayenne and remaining water, cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice; set aside (so much setting aside in this recipe). In a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir-fry pork in 1 tbsp of oil until no longer pink; remove from skillet and keep warm. Stir fry vegetables in remaining tbsp of oil until tender. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pork and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.

Okay so Steve forgot to serve it with rice. He realized it way later, after his friend had gone home. When Steve called me at Amanda's and said "oh dang I forgot the rice!" I said, "text Chris so he knows it wasn't me that forgot it!!" Because I didn't want him to think that would be due to my oversight. I do have a reputation to uphold. Hee hee. Oh well. I asked him if he liked the recipe, and he said it could have used rice. He is so funny. But he said it was really yummy, maybe a little bit salty. But I bet the rice would have cut that back some. I asked him if it was restaurant quality and he said no, because he wouldn't expect such a good thing from a restaurant. Awwww. He is funny AND he is a charmer. So I think I will keep this one and make it at least once more, so I can see how it was. It looked great, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at newrecipenight.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at newrecipenight.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from your post right above if I give a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
James