Saturday, June 5, 2010

Criss-Cross Shepherd's Pie

I did not name this recipe. I don't like the name of it. But we have tried so many different shepherd's pie recipes that I guess this will distinguish it from the others. This is from yet another magazine that my sister brought me while I was laid up, Kraft Food & Family Spring 2010. Shepherd's pie is one of Sam's favorite things to eat, and I have a recipe that I really like, as well as several variations, but I thought this one was worth trying. My standby SP recipe has gravy in it (but it's sooo good!) and this one doesn't, so I thought it might be a slightly healthier version, although what this lacks in fat I think it makes up for in sodium. But what can you do? It was good...

Criss-Cross Shepherd's Pie
1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch chunks (I used more like 2 1/2 lbs, it just didn't seem like enough...I guess that's how they make it healthier, with fewer carbs...hahaha I defeated them on that...)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 lbs ground beef
2 onions, chopped
2 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
1 cup water
1 envelope onion soup mix (here's the sodium)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese spread (the cheese and cream cheese are to replace the butter one would normally use in mashed potatoes. I don't know which is healthier, but I do know which one is more expensive...I'm sure you can guess too)

Heat oven to 375. Cook potatoes and garlic in boiling water in large saucepan for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Return to skillet. Stir in corn, water, and onion soup mix; cook 3 minutes or until water is absorbed, stirring frequently. Spoon into 8 ramekins (these are like small casserole dishes. I don't have any. I spooned this into 2 8x8 pans, so I could freeze one). Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add cheese and cream cheese spread; mash until potatoes are smooth and mixture is well blended. Spoon over meat mixture (this was hard because these were THICK potatoes. I ended up having to do this with my hands because they were sticking to the spoon and driving me crazy...I bet if I had increased the cheese and cream cheese spread, it would have been easier, because I increased the potatoes...I didn't think of that until just now...oh well). Make decorative criss-cross patterns by lightly dragging fork over potato layer (so hence the name. But out of dislike for the name, I skipped this step). Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through.

Predictably, the family enjoyed this. Nathan only ate the "chicken" out of it hee hee. But Sam and Emma lapped it up. The cheese in the potatoes gave them an other-worldly orange tint, and Emma said "what is this stuff on top?" I told her it was potatoes with cheese melted in. She was relieved that was all it was. So yet another keeper in the Shepherd's Pie department.

No comments: