Monday, June 7, 2010

Lemon-Blueberry Muffins


Oooh do you guys like the picture?
This is what I just made for supper tonight. We had it with scrambled eggs and sausage. And we had 2 pieces of bacon left so I had one and Sam had one. The kids LOVED the way these muffins looked, loved that they had "frosting" on them, but neither Emma nor Nathan liked the way they tasted. That's really too bad because they were SO good! This isn't the type of muffin that you cut and put butter on, although I am very fond of that type of muffin. These have the glaze on top and you just eat them like that. This is from the May 2010 Taste of Home that my sister gave me.

Lemon-Blueberry Muffins
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon peel (I suppose you could actually grate lemon peel if you want, I used the kind in a jar)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (don't thaw if using frozen)
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk, lemon juice, and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake @ 400 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, butter, and vanilla; drizzle over warm muffins.
These muffins were so moist that I had a bit of a hard time getting them out of the pan. I thought it was weird that the yield for this recipe said "11 muffins" because how bizarre, why would you make 11 and not 12? Well the answer is, one of the muffins will not come out of the pan. 3 or 4 of these muffins had a bit come off the bottom, so it was okay. But one of them just wouldn't come out. It wasn't stuck but just crumbled. So we ended up with 11 muffins, just as the recipe predicted. For the glaze, after I made it I put it into a ziploc baggie and snipped the corner, then drizzled it over the muffins. I thought these were so good, I'm definitely keeping the recipe, even though I apparently could not make it for the children again. They were so moist that I didn't even miss the butter. They would be perfect for a brunch type thing. So good!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Looks and sounds yummy Monika! I'm trying out a new recipe tonight, check my blog tomorrow for results!