Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blueberry Ginger Muffin Tops

This is from Back of the Box cooking.  We always have blueberries now, because of our blueberry bushes.  So I didn't have to buy anything special for this recipe, which is always convenient, AND lets me make more new things during the week. The thing they want you to buy for this recipe is the oatmeal.  This recipe is like muffin batter, but a bit thicker, and you bake them on a cookie sheet instead of muffin tins, so you just get the tops of the muffins. 

Blueberry Ginger Muffin Tops
1 1/2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)(I used quick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground ginger
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease large cookie sheet.  Combine oats and sugar.  For streusel topping, combine 1/4 cup oat & sugar mixture with 1 tbsp of the melted butter in a small bowl; set aside.  For muffins, add flour, baking powder, and ginger to remaining oat mixture and mix well.  Combine milk, remaining melted butter, and egg; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.  Stir in blueberries.  Drop by measured 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.  Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter, patting gently.  Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.  Serve warm.

First of all, not enough streusel topping, I only had enough for a scant smattering on 10 of the 12 muffin tops.  Secondly, the kids didn't really like these.  Nathan didn't even want to try one.  Emma and Sam both tried them,but they didn't like the oatmeal.  Steve and I liked them though.  And I had a leftover one for breakfast with my coffee this morning and I thought they were good.  I couldn't really taste the ginger in them, though.  To me they were just like oatmeal blueberry muffins.  So pretty good, but why make something again that I know the kids won't like?  So, not saving...

No comments: