Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chocolate Chip Sweet Cream Scones

We had this for dinner last night, with scrambled cheesy eggs.  I already have a scone recipe that is very yummy, but it starts with a pancake mix, and then for the chocolate you are supposed to use chopped Hershey bars.  Of course that is yummy, but also expensive.  So when I saw this one I wanted to try it to see if it could replace my expensive(r) scone recipe.  To make Nathan want to eat these, I told him they were breakfast cookies.  They are really more like biscuits, but I couldn't tell him that.  This is from Back of the Box Cooking.  The thing they want you to buy is the half and half, butter, and egg, all from Land O' Lakes.  Well, I get my butter from the Land O' Sam's Club, I get my half and half from Walmart (the cheapest brand), and I get my eggs from my neighbor.  So I didn't have to buy anything special to make this recipe, I already had everything.

Chocolate Chip Sweet Cream Scones
1 3/4 cup flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold butter (5 1/3 tbsp from a stick)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 to 6 tbsp half and half

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.  Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in chocolate chips, egg, and just enough half and half so dough leaves sides of the bowl (I had to use like 8 tbsp before that happened).  Knead dough lightly 10 times on lightly floured surface.  Roll into a 9-inch circle; cut in 12 wedges.  Place wedges on ungreased baking sheet.  Brush tops with remaining egg (but...you only told me to use one egg...I brushed mine with melted butter).  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.  Remove immediately from baking sheet and serve.

So, yummy and easy.  Definitely replacing my old one with this one!  The kids all liked these.  We had the rest this afternoon for an afternoon snack (great with a cup of coffee, although I was the only one who wanted one...).  They definitely tasted better fresh and warm, rather than warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds like we did today.  But still good.

No comments: