Thursday, September 13, 2012

Morning Melts

One of Steve's 2 specialties when he cooks are breakfast sandwiches (his other one is quesadillas).  When I saw this recipe in the Back of the Box cookbook, I marked it to make because it sounded good and easy, and I love having breakfast for supper.  I threw down my challenge to Steve when he got home last night...it went something like "I hope you have money in your pocket and that you're ready to run."  He looked confused.  I said "because tonight I'm giving you a run for your money."  Still confused.  I expounded.  "Because I'm making breakfast sandwiches for supper, and that's one of the things that you make."  Anyway my throw-down was a total fail.  But supper was yummy, despite the fact that Steve didn't look even a little bit nervous...the featured ingredient was Nature's Own english muffins...we had ours on Thomas english muffins from my freezer (and before that, from the bread store).

Morning Melts
4 english muffins, split
1/3 cup peach preserves (I used apple jelly that I had left from a different recipe)
2 tbsp honey mustard
8 slices Canadian bacon (have you seen that movie, by the way?  Hilarious.)
8 eggs (I only used 6)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp butter
8 slices colby/jack cheese
snipped fresh chives (optional)

Place english muffin halves on foil-lined baking sheet.  Broil until lightly toasted (like 1 minute).  Combine preserves and honey mustard in small bowl.  Spread evenly over toasted english muffins; top each with 1 slice Canadian bacon (one of John Candy's last movies *sniff*).  Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.  Remove from oven; set aside.  Whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper in a bowl.  Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add egg mixture.  Cook, stirring and gently lifting edges to allow uncooked eggs to flow under cooked portion (like an omelet, so that it stays on the english muffins easier, rather than clumps of eggs that will fall off).  Evenly divide eggs over each muffin, then top each with 1 cheese slice.  Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.  Sprinkle with chives, if using.

Emma had hers without the jelly/mustard mixture.  Nathan had his completely deconstructed, with the english muffin (toasted with butter and cinnamon sugar) next to some scrambled eggs and the meat (which I assured him was just ham despite it's unusual name).  We had hash browns on the side.  Overall a yummy easy meal.  For interested parties, Canadian Bacon is available streaming on Netflix.  At least it was the last time we watched it.


No comments: