Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad

This was another meal we had this past week, maybe on Tuesday.  It's from Back of the Box cooking, and for this one they wanted you to buy a certain lettuce, mandarin oranges, and green onions (all Dole).  But I didn't.  I just buy (and mostly, just do) what I want.  For lettuce I bought a Romaine mix.  I mostly like iceberg lettuce, but I know that doesn't really help you much.  I have made great strides in the last year and can now tolerate romaine.  I still do not want leaves and grass (or sprouts...ew) in my salads, but at least my lettuce is mostly green now, rather than transparent.

Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad
12 oz pkg salad blend
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded
15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup pea pods or bean sprouts (I left both of these out)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I left these out, but wish I had some to put on there...I just overlooked it when I was making my list)
1/2 cup asian salad dressing (I bought Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame...but not because they wanted me to.  It was a Dole recipe, not a Kraft...but I bet they are in league together...)
1/2 cup chow mein noodles (that is not enough...I must have used at least 3 times that much)

Combine lettuce, chicken, oranges, green onions, and almonds in a large bowl.  Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chow mein noodles.  4 servings.

This came out so great!  It was just enough for the 5 of us.  Of course Nathan only liked the chicken out of his, and Emma didn't like the dressing.  But Sam asked for extra dressing and ate all of his.  Steve and I thought it was great.  And it was very easy; I made the chicken ahead of time, so all I had to do was throw everything together and dinner took like 5 minutes to get ready.  Definitely making again!

No comments: