Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Honey-Spice Drumsticks

This is last night's dinner, from Back of the Box Cooking.  The thing they want you to buy is Heinz ketchup (which I won't, because I listen to Howie Carr...I buy Hunt's) and worcestershire sauce (which I already have, and is the Walmart brand).  Steve is not a huge fan of dark meat, but it is easy to get off the bone for the kids, so I like that.  I got a package of 12 drumsticks and I froze the other 4 to throw in next time I make homemade broth.

Honey-Spice Drumsticks
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (I used 2 tsp dried)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp pepper (that's a lot of pepper)
8 chicken drumsticks, trimmed

Stir ketchup with honey, orange zest, orange juice, worcestershire, rosemary, garlic, cumin, and pepper.  Divide in half.  Toss one half with the drumsticks and marinate for 30 minutes.  Reserve remaining sauce mixture.  Discard the marinade and grill the chicken, turning occasionally, for 15 minutes (I used the broiler pan in the oven...I would have used my Foreman grill but I used that for the pineapple recipe we had with this which I am posting separately).  Brush chicken all over with reserved sauce and grill for 5 minutes more or until no longer pink near the bone.

Okay so making this in the oven took way longer than 15 minutes...it took closer to 45.  That made me mad at the chicken before I even tasted it.  And it wasn't that great.  Too much of a weird mix with the sweetness of the honey, and then the cumin, and the rosemary.  Just wasn't a good combination.  Not keeping.

No comments: