Thursday, September 20, 2012

Southwest Pulled Pork

My new Simple & Delicious came a couple of weeks ago, and this is the first recipe I have marked to try.  It makes a lot of pulled pork and you have it on rolls.  Then it has 2 recipes you can make with the leftover meat, but I didn't like the looks of either of those, so I froze the leftovers to have pulled pork sandwiches again soon.

Southwest Pulled Pork
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I left this out)
1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
1 cup chicken broth
kaiser rolls, split

Cut roast in half (I removed all the fat I could at this point, too).  Combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl; rub over meat.  Transfer to a 5 qt slow cooker.  Top with onion and chilies.  Pour broth around meat.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender.  Remove meat; cool slightly.  Skim fat from cooking juices.  Shred pork with 2 forks and return to slow cooker; heat through.  Serve on rolls.

This was quite good.  It almost had the taste of taco seasoning.  All the kids liked it, even Emma who hates to chew meat, because it was nice and tender.  It makes me excited when I can freeze the rest, too.  Good easy meal that smelled great...a keeper! 

No comments: