Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grilled Pineapple with Lime and Coconut

As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it.  I love fresh pineapple, and lately I have been loving lime.  We had this with the Honey-Spice Drumsticks recipe that I just posted.  I found this recipe in an All You magazine that I did not purchase, but was passed to me by my mom.

Grilled Pineapple with Lime and Coconut
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Zest and juice of 1 lime (who has time to zest a lime?  Not I.  I just used the juice)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges

Place coconut in a small skillet over medium heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until golden and lightly toasted.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.  Preheat grill to medium.  In a small bowl, combine lime juice and brown sugar.  Oil grill.  Put pineapple wedges on grill and cook, turning once, until softened and browned in spots, 7-8 minutes total.  Transfer pineapple to a dish and dot with lime juice mixture.  Just before serving, arrange pineapple on a platter and sprinkle with lime zest and toasted coconut.

This smelled great, and tasted pretty good, too.  The pineapple itself wasn't as tasty as it could have been, although Emma and I are forever ruined for fresh pineapple because the last one we had was in Haiti, at the breakfast buffet at the Visa Lodge.  It was the yummiest tastiest fruit I have ever eaten.  Of any kind of fruit.  We kept saying to each other, "I can't believe how good this is."  And then when our friend and fellow globe-trotter Jen sat down at the table, we were gushing about it to her, too.  So the one I bought at Hannaford for this recipe was just sad.  It's like when you want a cup of coffee at work at 3 in the morning and all that's left is instant.  Okay wait, maybe it's not THAT bad.  But you see what I'm saying.  So this was a good recipe.  But I was left feeling like it could have been so much better...

No comments: