Thursday, September 13, 2012

Drop Cornmeal Biscuits

I heart drop biscuits and drop cookies, because I hate to knead and roll out dough.  Not that I will never do it, because sometimes I will, but I like so much better a recipe that you just drop the dough.  We had these tonight with Yummy Chicken Soup, which is one of the first "new" things I ever tried way back when I first started doing new recipes.  It's still one of my favorites.  I thought these biscuits would go well with it.  The only featured ingredient here is Land O' Lakes butter, which of course I did not buy.  However, I did have to run to the "snack store" which is like 1 minute from my house to pay twice as much for butter as I would at any normal store because I only had 1/2 of a stick left instead of a whole stick.  That made me so mad that I bought some diet pepsi too.

Drop Cornmeal Biscuits
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have it [and who has buttermilk laying around?] use 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup; let stand 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 450.  Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add buttermilk; stir until mixture is just combined (if batter is too thin [and how would I know, this being the first time I've made this?] stir in 1 to 2 tbsp additional flour).  Drop by 1/4 cupfuls, 1 inch apart, onto greased baking sheet.  Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

These came out perfect!  Even Nathan liked them.  They were great dunked in the soup, and I think they would be good with chili too because of the cornmeal.  But it wasn't overpowering cornmeal, it didn't have the texture or the yellow color of a corn muffin.  Definitely will make these again!

No comments: