Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chicken & Apple Salad

This was another quick one I threw together after church on Sunday.  Sundays are starting to be "quick lunch days" because I have been working every Sunday afternoon.  This one looked yummy and I knew it would be fast...from Simple & Delicious.

Chicken & Apple Salad
Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp curry powder, optional (I used about 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Salad:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 medium apples, chopped (I used gala, my current favorite)
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
10 cups torn mixed salad greens (I think that's way too much)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (I used pecans because I love them, and because I already had some)

In a large bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients until blended (I always put it in a Tupperware cup with a tight-fitting lid and shake it like crazy).  Place greens on a large serving plate; top with chicken, apples, and onions.  Drizzle dressing over salad.  Sprinkle with nuts.

Of course you could make these individually, too, and not on a large serving platter.  That's what I did.  This tasted quite good.  I didn't like it as well as the one with cherries I had made the week before, and also I thought this vinaigrette was unnecessarily complicated.  I have made very yummy vinaigrettes before with only like 4 or 5 ingredients.  But overall a fast yummy lunch, which is what I was after.

No comments: