Saturday, August 3, 2013

Gingerbread Scones

Breakfast for supper happens a lot around here.  We had these this week with scrambled eggs and bacon.  I really like the spices and flavors involved with gingerbread.  I remember my mom making gingerbread sometimes when I was young, in an 8x8 pan, and she would serve us squares of it with whipped cream on top.  Yum.  So I wanted to try these, even though I wasn't sure how the kids would receive them.  From Southern Living.

Gingerbread Scones
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup milk

Combine first 5 ingredients together; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.  Combine molasses and milk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened (I had to add a few more drops of milk to get to this point).  Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a ball.  Pat each ball into a 5-inch circle on an ungreased baking sheet.  Cut each circle into 6 wedges, using a sharp knife; do not separate wedges.

Bake at 425 for10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve warm.

Yum.  Kind of like gingerbread biscuits.  I put them upside down on plates and spread the bottoms with butter before serving them.  Everyone liked them.  I had two the next day for breakfast and they weren't quite as good, but they were still okay.  A very good breakfast food.

No comments: