Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mocha Macaroon Cookies

I love cooking and baking, and I've gotten pretty good at it, if I do say so myself.  But every once in a while there comes along a very humbling recipe, the kind where I call my mom and say "what do I do now?"  This was that kind of recipe.  I attempted to make these for a baby shower.  Since they are mocha flavored, I knew they wouldn't be a hit at home, plus I wasn't sure how the coconut would go over.  I've never made regular macaroons, which would have perhaps helped me with this adaptation.  Here is the recipe, even though I am not endorsing this one.  From Simple & Delicious.

Mocha Macaroon Cookies
2 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp hot water
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 pkg (14 oz) flaked coconut
2/3 cup white baking chips, melted
Plain or chocolate-covered coffee beans (omitted by me, but the recipe went south long before this omission)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water.  Stir in condensed milk, melted chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until blended.  Stir in coconut.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until set (what if this is never?).  Cool on pans 1 minute.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Drizzle tops with melted baking chips (I never got to this step...actually I never got them off the cookie sheets); top with coffee beans.

Okay.  So I didn't use parchment paper.  BUT I almost never do (unless I'm making pumpkin whoopie pies) because I always use Pampered Chef stoneware baking sheets and nothing sticks to them because they are awesome.  The real problem here, however, was not that they stuck to the cookie sheets, but that they never "set".  There was no real baking to do here, because there was no flour or whatever else.  All they really had to do was go into the oven to like dry out or something.  I cooked them long past 10-12 minutes, but they started to smell burnt, even though they weren't set.  I took them out and let them sit a L-O-N-G time on the cookie sheets, but whenever I tried to remove even one cookie from the sheet, it would smoooosh all together.  The stoneware cooled completely, which I thought may have been an issue because they do stay warmer longer than metal cookie sheets.  This didn't make a difference.  I called my mom, but she said she's never made macaroons because Dad doesn't like coconut.  Fair enough.  She did say I could bring them crumbled and serve them with a spoon, but I opted not to do that.  So off I went to the baby shower, with the cookies still on the cookie sheets.  When I got home, I noticed one of the cookie sheets had been scraped clean.  Steve had taken them to a camp out, where he says they were enjoyed by all, and that you couldn't even taste the coffee part of them.


No comments: