Saturday, August 3, 2013

Four-Way Cincinnati Chili

I have no idea why this is called "Four-Way."  I have never made Cincinnati Chili before, so I don't know what "One-Way" Cincinnati Chili would be like.  My best friend from junior high's mom is the first person I knew who made this, and she posts quite often on her facebook wall about making it still.  When I saw this recipe in the Southern Living cookbook I'm going through, it made me think of her fondly.  So I decided to try it.



Four-Way Cincinnati Chili
1 pound ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
2 (14 1/2 oz) or 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (I did this right in the pan, I'll tell you when)
8 oz uncooked dried spaghetti
Condiments: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion (nope, then the kids wouldn't eat it), oyster crackers

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is cooked through.

Stir in cinnamon and next 9 ingredients (dump in the tomatoes, then break them up into pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula...I have a nylon Pampered Chef knife that I used).  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While beef mixture simmers, cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and return to pan.

To serve, place pasta on individual serving plates; spoon beef mixture over spaghetti.  If desired, top with cheese, onions, and oyster crackers.

This came out SO GOOD!  It's not spicy at all, like you think chili will be.  The cinnamon and nutmeg et al gave it a very sweet delicious flavor.  Everybody liked this, although the two youngest didn't like the tomato chunks.  When I make "regular" chili, they don't like the beans, so they really liked that this one didn't have any beans to pick out.  It was different having it over spaghetti, almost like it wasn't even chili, but spaghetti and meat sauce.  Seriously, so good.  We're definitely having this again.

No comments: