Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns

I don't like sour cream as a condiment.  It reminds me way too much of mayo.  But I have discovered through the making of many new recipes that cakes and pastries made with sour cream are usually very good.  So I decided to try these this morning.  Now, when I say "this morning," I mean "they were done before noon so technically that's still morning."  I had grand plans to be up early, not too early because it is Saturday, but not too late either.  Well, I made it to the kitchen by 8:45...made coffee, had to put the clean dishes away, because I can't cook until I do...these were ready by 10:30.  Everyone had already had breakfast by then (except me), so we had these for more like an early lunch.  Instead of using the icing that it says to, I used leftover caramel frosting from last night's cookie recipe.  From Southern Living.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns
8 oz sour cream
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pkg (or 2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

Heat sour cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat to 105-115 degrees (that was so gross).  Combine warm sour cream, 2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp sugar, salt, and baking soda in large mixing bowl.  Add egg and yeast; blend well.  Add 1 1/2 cups flour; beat at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended.  Gradually stir in remaining flour.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.  Cover and let rest 5 minutes.

Roll dough into 18x6 inch rectangle; spread 2 tbsp softened butter over dough.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll up dough, starting with short side, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal.

Slice roll into 12 (1 1/2 inch) slices.  Place slices, cut side down, in greased muffin pan (here I had a problem, as the diameter of the slices was larger than the diameter of my muffin pan holes...I would put them in but they wouldn't fit, and the centers were sinking down in...I knew they wouldn't look right or rise right if they were all crumpled up, so after the third one I decided to place them on a cookie sheet...they spread kind of a lot, but at least they kept the right shape).  Cover and let rise 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 12-15 minutes or until golden.  Remove buns from pan immediately; let cool on wire rack.  Combine powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over buns.  (I served mine warm...)

So.  These were good.  But not great.  A lot of work.  I wanted "wow" and for them to basically melt in my mouth.  It didn't really happen that way.  Steve really really liked these.  I think, though, that I shall not make them again...also I don't like how the picture makes them look...see how they spread out?  But they would have looked deformed if I'd done the muffin-pan way.  So oh well.

No comments: