Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hot Brown

I have never heard of a Hot Brown.  It is, I learned through the blurb under the recipe, a hot sandwich made famous by the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.  It sounded like something we would like.  I really like hot turkey sandwiches made with Thanksgiving leftovers.  So we had this one...from Southern Living.

Hot Brown
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp salt
8 slices bread, toasted
1 pound sliced cooked turkey breast
8 slices bacon, cooked and drained
4 slices tomato (nope...I don't like raw tomatoes...)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring til smooth.  Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Gradually add milk and broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.  Stir in cheddar cheese and salt, and continue stirring until cheese melts.  Remove from heat.

(The following directions confused me, and a trip to Google didn't help...so I don't know if I did the assembly right...) Cut 4 slices of toast in half diagonally.  Place 2 halves, cut side in, with 1 whole slice in center, on an ovenproof plate or 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.  Repeat with remaining toast (ummmm, okay...).  Top each with turkey, cheese sauce, 2 slices bacon crisscrossed, tomato slice, and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese.

Broil 3 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes or just until bubbly.  Serve hot.

Okay.  Sam loved this.  I thought it was weird.  It looked like gravy but tasted cheesy.  The bacon was good, but weird with the sauce.  The parmesan cheese added another layer of "what???"  Nathan pulled his turkey out, scraped everything off it, and only ate that.  Emma did okay.  It was definitely a fine meal, would be good for a lunch or something, but I still don't know if I liked it.


No comments: