Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Skinny Parmesan Twists

These are not healthy.  They are thin-in-diameter breadsticks.  I didn't want the name to mislead you.  From Southern Living.



Skinny Parmesan Twists
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp caraway seeds or grated Parmesan cheese

Combine butter, 1 cup cheese, and sour cream, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer.  Combine flour and Italian seasoning.  Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until smooth.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; divide in half.  Roll 1 portion of dough into a 12x7-inch rectangle, and cut into 6x1/2-inch strips.

Twist each strip 2 or 3 times, and place on greased baking sheets.  Repeat procedure with remaining dough.

Combine egg yolk and water; brush over breadsticks.  Sprinkle with caraway seeds or additional grated Parmesan cheese (I used garlic salt).  Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes (mine took more like 15 but I used stoneware) or until golden brown.

These came out awesome!  We had it with pasta and sauce.  They weren't as "bready" as you'd think a breadstick would be.  The texture was smoother, and the flavor was awesome.  I'm glad I went with garlic salt on top.  I did have some caraway seeds, but that is the part that I usually pick out of the sausage on pizza, so I didn't feel like adding it to breadsticks.  I'm sure sprinkling them with more Parmesan cheese would have been yummy as well.  We will have these again for sure.

No comments: