Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Chimichangas

This is the recipe made with the leftover chicken from last night. Because I am so Mexican, I knew we would love it. You deep fry these. I don't have a fry daddy, and also I don't want one. But I did fry them in oil in the skillet, which was fairly stressful for me. But they came out pretty good. Here's the recipe.

Chicken Chimichangas
3 Honey & Spice chicken breast halves, cubed (from last recipe posted)
1 cup refried beans
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used 2 drops)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used a very small sprinkle)
6 flour tortillas, warmed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded Mexican blend. I think it's what all the Mexicans use too.)
Oil for deep-fat frying
Optional toppings: sour cream (no), salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and chopped jalapeno pepper (no)

Combine first seven ingredients in small microwaveable bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon 1/3 cup filling off-center on each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and roll up. Secure with a toothpick. Heat oil to 375 in an electric skillet or deep fat fryer (I just used my large skillet and set it over medium-high heat). Cook chimichangas until golden brown, turning to cook all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with toppings of your choice.

Even though I cut the spice way back, these still made my lips tingle. But they were pretty tasty. Also I found that the toothpicks got in the way of cooking them evenly on all sides. So I took them out, but then some of the filling started coming out too. Very stressful. I had to focus, and turn off the radio even so I could give my full attention to these. They browned much quicker than I expected. I should have made all 6 first, and then fried them in batches, instead of making one or two and putting them in the oil as I made them. But overall, first chimichangas were a success. Except Nathan had chicken nuggets and applesauce.

No comments: