Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stacked Chicken Cordon Bleu

I made this one in December, so it should have been posted there. I didn't even realize I hadn't posted this one until I was going through the magazine for this week's menu planning. So, we had this last week. It's from the Dec/Jan 2012 Simple & Delicious. I guess in regular cordon bleu the cheese and the ham are rolled up and/or stuffed inside the chicken breast. This one they are just piled on in layers.

Stacked Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup ground almonds (I bought slivered almonds and ground them with my Tupperware choppy thing)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 thin slices deli ham
2 slices swiss cheese, halved (I had shredded swiss left from another recipe so I used that)
Sauce:
2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken & mushroom soup, undiluted (I hate cream of mushroom, so I used cream of chicken)
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
minced fresh parsley

Flatten chicken to 1/2-inch thickness; set aside. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg and water in another shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs and almonds in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.

Add oil to a large skillet. Cook chicken over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until 170. Top with ham and cheese; cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, combine the soup, sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley.

The chicken part of this was really good. The ground almonds gave it a really good flavor. Of course the little people did not agree. Also I didn't really care for the ham, cheese, and sauce. It was okay, we ate it, but it wasn't fabulous. So not keeping this one. I guess when I wait a week to type up a recipe I can't remember anything funny about it, either. Boring post.

No comments: