Friday, January 13, 2012

Herbed Chicken and Rice

We had this last night. It was fast, it all just came together in the skillet. It was a little Chinese-y, but also a little not. It's from the latest Simple & Delicious.

Herbed Chicken and Rice
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
1 tbsp butter
2 large carrots, shredded (I bought matchstick carrots so I didn't have to shred mine)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups hot water
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp rosemary, crushed
1/8 tsp rubbed sage
2 cups uncooked instant rice (I used instant brown rice)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Saute chicken in butter in a large skillet for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and onion; saute until tender. Stir in water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice; cover and remove from heat (if you use instant brown rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes before proceeding). Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with walnuts.

I left the walnuts off Nathan's portion. The others all really liked this and didn't even seem to notice the nuts. I chopped them very fine with my Tupperware choppy thing. This was really good and we all liked it. The only thing I would say is that it needs more chicken. The recipe said this would be 5 servings. Well, 5 of us ate it, but the kids didn't really have full-sized portions. So I am going to keep this recipe, but double the chicken next time. Also if you saute the chicken and veggies in olive oil instead of butter, this would be a dairy-free one.

No comments: