Monday, January 23, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza

I'm pretty sure I've made something like this before. But it's in this issue of Simple & Delicious and it looked yummy so I decided to make it. It's supposed to start with Pillsbury crescent rolls for the crust, but I don't really like those, and I had frozen pizza shells in the freezer (the Boboli ones) so I used that for the crust instead. My guinea pig family was here tonight to try this with us (actually the kids had chicken nuggets and french fries. Even if I thought they would like this pizza, it wouldn't make enough to feed all of us. Just grown ups + Sam had this one) and Melissa actually has lived in Pennsylvania so this could have been a tricky one.

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
1 tube (8 oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
1 tbsp prepared italian salad dressing
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Unroll crescent roll dough into one long rectangle; seal perforations. Press onto bottom and up sides of ungreased 13x9 baking pan. Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned (obviously if you're using a prebaked shell you would skip this step).

Saute green pepper and onion in oil and bouillon in a large skillet until vegetables are tender; set aside. Arrange beef over crust. Brush with salad dressing; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with green pepper mixture. Cut into 12 pieces (or 8, if it's a circular shell).

We had this with a bagged Caeser salad. Pretty much the only kind of salad I like.

This was good. Melissa was here when I put it together and I think we used probably double the amount of cheese it called for. But it has calcium so it's fine. I liked this fine, but didn't think it was fabulous or anything. I think it was a bit too greasy, and I don't know if that's from the meat as it's cooking, or if it was from too much oil with the veggies. I really used hardly any salad dressing so I don't think it was that. So I think if I made this again I would only use 1 tbsp of oil for the onions and peppers. Overall a good easy supper.

No comments: