Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kielbasa and Bean Soup

I have a sore throat, so it's a good day for soup. But it just happened to work out that way because I planned this week's menu last week and I didn't know I would have a sore throat today. This is from the Everything Soup cookbook I've been working through in between Simple & Delicious recipes. We love smoked sausage. Even though it's bad for you. But once in a while, and mixed with things that are good for you, is okay.

Kielbasa and Bean Soup
1 lb kielbasa sausage (do you know it comes in 14.5 oz pkg now instead of 16 oz? Conspiracy)
1 onion
1 stalk celery
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes
2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
5 cloves garlic
1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (omitted)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp thyme
5 cups chicken broth
4 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt & pepper

Thinly slice the sausage. Chop the onion and celery. Dice the canned tomatoes (this just seems silly because you can buy them already diced. So that's what I did) and mix with the basil and oregano. Mince the garlic. Drain and mince the chipotle pepper.

In a soup pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion, celery, and thyme, sauteing for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Pour in the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits of veggies. Add the beans, tomatoes, sausage, and chipotle. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

We had this with frozen dinner rolls. It was so so yummy. Everybody liked it. It was a bit heavy on the tomato, I thought. Next time I'm going to double the meat =o) The broth was so delicious I almost wanted to strain it and sip it instead of saving it for leftovers. But I did not do that, and on some zombie night I'll be glad I didn't. Another good one! This has been a good month...

No comments: