Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Indian Baked Chicken

This is my first try at Indian food. The caption of this recipe says "Cumin and turmeric give this hearty entree just the right amount of Indian flavor while maintaining mass appeal for picky eaters in the bunch." Sounds like our bunch, all right. So we gave this a whirl. I don't know much about Indian food, but I am pretty sure that it is not traditionally served with potatoes. But this one is. Maybe that's where the "mass appeal" comes from? Especially if you are from Maine...from Simple & Delicious Dec/Jan 2012.

Indian Baked Chicken
1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth (I used homemade stock)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ground turmeric (I had to buy this. It's very yellow. It stained my measuring spoon.)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Place potatoes, carrots, and onions in a greased 13x9 baking dish; add chicken. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the top. Cover and bake at 400 for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until meat thermometer reads 180 and vegetables are tender.

This one definitely got mixed reviews. Nathan and Lilly loved the chicken. Lincoln and Emma hated it. Sam ate it. The grown-ups all liked it. The potatoes were the most flavored part of it, I think. I don't think this was authentic Indian food, but it's probably as Indian as most of my "Mexican" cooking is Mexican. Anyway, good but not great. Not keeping.

No comments: