Monday, January 23, 2012

Toll House Crumb Cake

This is what I made for home fellowship last week. This is the recipe I was making when I dropped an egg in the batter and had to start over. It was a zombie day. In spite of me being mad at myself, the cake turned out really great. It's from Tiffany Stewart's adoption fundraiser cookbook. Seriously you should get this cookbook if you don't have it. Message me for details.

Toll House Crumb Cake
Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I left these out. We are nutty enough)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (from 12 oz bag)
Cake:
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
remaining choc chips from the 12 oz bag

In a small bowl combine topping ingredients until crumbly; set aside. For cake, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl beat sugar, butter, and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs (don't drop one here like I did!) one at a time, beating well after each one. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with sour cream (if you have a Kitchen Aid, and manage to not mix egg shells in, you can just dump all this stuff in at once--all the dry ingredients plus the sour cream, and it still turns out fine). Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread into greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean.

This was so easy and came out so fabulous. I loved that you don't have to wait for it to cool before you can frost it, like with a lot of other cakes. It was moist and yummy, but didn't fall apart while you were eating it, which is important when there will be little ones eating it. You eat it like brownies (at least we did) and didn't use forks. Yum yum yum. Definitely keeping this one. Next time I will endeavor not to mix in egg shells. You would be surprised how many people told me I should have kept going and left the egg shells in. Some people suggested adding nuts to try to mask the crunch. I was surprised at this. I should tell you who they were so if they invite you over you can be on "egg shell watch." But I'm not going to, to make it more exciting.

No comments: