Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chocolate French Toast

Yummy. So you might remember that I'm trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our diet, because of the cheapness. Well this counts, I say, even though it's not your traditional meatless meal. Like, when I think "vegetarian dish" my brain does not just jump to french toast. But it is totally meatless. This is the last recipe I have marked from the Dec/Jan 2012 Simple & Delicious. The recipe says to use "egg" or "challah" bread. I don't know what those kinds of bread are. I did look (in vain) at Walmart and Hannaford, in their bakeries, but had no luck. I don't know if it's known by another name in our gourmet state or not. I used homemade oatmeal bread, which I made a few days ago so it was a bit dry. That's what they say you're supposed to use for french toast. Old(er) bread.

Chocolate French Toast
4 slices egg or challah bread (3/4" thick)(I used 12 slices of oatmeal bread and still did not have to double the following ingredients...)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, fresh raspberries, strawberries, bananas, and maple syrup (we had ours with syrup, and then fruit on the side: bananas, strawberries, and mandarin oranges)

Arrange bread slices in 9x13 baking dish (I had to use 2). Combine the sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Gradually whisk into dry ingredients until smooth. Pour over bread. Let stand 10 minutes, turning slices once (carefully).

Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet (I used 1 tbsp of butter for each batch). Cook bread (in batches if you double or triple it) for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Serve with toppings.

I put a plate in the oven at 200 and put the "done" slices in there so they would stay warm while I made the other ones.

Everybody but Nathan liked this. The kids actually really liked it. What's not to like? The bread didn't get too soggy, which is a common problem I have with other french toast recipes I have tried. It tasted great. Definitely keeping this one.

No comments: